31.3.07

Sumptuous is the word


"It was really beautiful - I think only the Latin-Americans still do it that way: all the military officers were in full-dress uniform, and the ambassadors were in court dress. Sumptuous is the word, and sparkling.
As we entered, George made a bee-line for this gorgeously crimson-clad figure, and said, "Excuse me, but may I have the pleasure of this dance?"
There was a terrible silence for a moment before the guest, who knew who he was, replied, "There are three reasons, Mr. Brown, why I will not dance with you. The first, I fear, is that you have had a little too much to drink. The second is that this is not, as you seem to suppose, a waltz the orchestra is playing but the Peruian natinal anthem, for which you should be standing to atention. And the third reason why we may not dance, Mr Brown, is that I am the Cardinal Archbishop of Lima... "


(Peter Paterson - "The Life of Lord George Brown")



bventana